Friday, June 7, 2013

dear j...

Dear J,

Tomorrow is your little sister's due date!  So much about her birth has me in suspense - besides the normal questions like, What will she look like?  What kind of personality will she have? etc., there are so many questions about how you two will get along.

Well, as your daddy and I have been praying, we hope that you two will be best buddies.  We're praying against jealousy and comparisons, and for an awesome friendship to sprout.  We pray that you'll look out for one another, teach one another, and love well.

It's been really sweet to see you try to grasp the concept of the sister you have yet to meet.  You talk to her, try to show her your toys and videos, give her drinks and food (through my belly button), and find comfort in hugging her and giving her kisses.  You've completely relinquished your nursery to her, calling it "Abby's room" and seem to understand the concepts of certain new things (like the baby swing Daddy just assembled) being "Abby's."

Tonight you practiced singing "Happy Birthday" before you blew out our scented candle, and when Daddy asked "Who do you want to sing to?" you answered, "Abby!"  And then I started having a couple contractions tonight.  We'll see when her Birth day turns out to be!

Part of me feel so sad to think that you are nearly two and thus not a baby anymore (though in my heart, you'll always be my baby boy).  Yesterday, you came down with a stomach bug that extended into today.  You were throwing up for the first time ever (well, since you passed that spitting up phase) and I could tell it really weirded you out and tired you out, especially since you couldn't keep anything down all day.  It made Daddy and me so sad to see you so sick and lethargic...yet at the same time, it brought back so many sweet memories of the days not-so-long-ago when you were an infant and would sleep and lie in our arms in the same peaceful way.  Even as you were sick this morning and spent the day resting and recovering, I was thankful for this little bit of extra time spent with snuggling with you...your last few days as an only child.

Even though both Daddy and I are middle children, I hope to be considerate of changes that come (into your life) with welcoming a new member to our family.  I am still learning so much as a parent...and I pray that God will show me the best way to care for your needs as you adjust to your role as a big brother.  No matter what, remember that we love you so much!  We are so proud to be your parents.

Love,
Mommy


1 comment:

  1. Your such a good mom Sarah! I don't think you need to worry about anything. Congratulations on your baby :)

    ReplyDelete