Friday, May 14, 2010

age is just a number.

Today during the Friday lunch group, we were talking about our siblings' ages. I jumped in the conversation, asking them to guess my sister's age. When I told them, "25." their little mouths all formed little O's. Nalleli asked me, "How old are YOU?" and I answered in stride, "94."

I love seeing their reactions to this type of response. Some of them nodded, and kept chewing on their lasagna. Others giggled, and one of them replied incredulously, "94 means you're gonna die soon!"

I said, "Yeah, but I look pretty good for my age, right?"

"Yup."
_____

Curious, I asked them, "When I turn 95, will you come to my birthday party?"

Sadly, I only received a couple who confirmed, "yes." Among the "maybe"s were excuses like, "I'm not sure - I have to celebrate my sister's birthday!" and "I don't know where you live!"

Sigh. Now I know how that host felt in the parable of the great banquet... :)

_____

On the bright side, this was the first grade logic that one little girl offered me to cheer me up, "When you get 1,000 years old, you'll be an angel."

2 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I can remember a point in my life when I thought 25 years old was old...that's until you're close to becoming it. On another topic, I definitely think you should get cable for the World Cup. :oD

    ReplyDelete